Thursday, November 19, 2009

Just as I thought...

My job placement assistance interview was nothing short of a disappointment. I showed up thinking I had a one-on-one meeting with NYS Department of Labor employee. Well, that is not what happened. I was pointed in the direction of a room in which there were already about 15 people sitting behind tables. There was a woman speaking explaining the unemployment benefits process. She then commenced a monologue on how the job market has drastically changed, how now you need a resume before you are even offered an interview. Ummm, hello!!! What is she talking about? For at least the past 10-15 years, maybe longer, employers have required resumes. Although, I'm sure she should have clarified that this requirement is probably something new for job sectors such as sales clerks or wait staff. She further explained that it is crucial to network because sitting at home is not going to get us jobs any faster. Wow, could she have been any more enlightening? Anyway, the highlight of the entire 1 hour event occurred in the aftermath of the distribution of handouts with various company websites that are hiring. Well, just as I surmised, jobs for sales clerks, hotel desk attendants, bank tellers, aquarium employees, etc. were all the jobs available. Additionally, said the all-knowing lady, the NYS Department of Labor even had various programs and apprenticeships to teach us how to repair boilers and air conditioners.

So I said to myself after ZERO help during this session, perhaps I should ask this lady if they offer any help for attorneys. When I told her "Hi, I'm an attorney and I'm wondering if you offer any programs geared toward my profession," she responds to me by saying, "Don't they have programs for you people, like doctors and stuff." I said, "well no, not really." She replies that the courts have bulletin boards and I should look there. WOW!!!!!!!! She's the most brilliant human being I've ever met. Bulletin boards!! First off, I used to go to court almost every day and when I was in law school worked in a court every day for the summer. At NO time did I ever see postings for jobs...volunteer positions, definitely, but I wasn't about to tell Mrs. Know-it-all that. Secondly, any court-related job openings are all posted on the New York State Courts System website, which is no surprise to most of you. So, I merely replied, okay, thank you and was more than happy to get the h*ll out of there.

That experience really bummed me out. Is there really any hope for me? For any attorneys? I'm now labeled as "you people." I used to be proud to say I'm an attorney, now I'm just mildly ashamed. It's only worthy of pride if you are an EMPLOYED attorney, not a UNEMPLOYED ATTORNEY, because then it's just pathetic. I figured it was the perfect time for some much needed retail therapy, plus I really needed a pair of black flat shoes...so why not aid in the stimulation of our economy.

After coming home, I browsed all the usual job sites and could not even find one job to apply for. Everyone is either looking for a receptionist, paralegel or a secretary. Why am I slowly starting to think that I just wasted 3 years and $100,000.00. People are saying the economy is starting to pick up. I truly hope that happens fast.

I'm keeping my chin up, tomorrow's another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment